The Inevitable Quest...

A place for me to be me...while searching for who I want to be

Thursday, November 03, 2005

It happened...AGAIN...ON A HOLIDAY!!!!

Okay...you all know HOW MUCH I love the Red Sox. It is more than a hobby...it's a passion. But for me...that's it. I accept the fact that many changes will happen each and every year. As much as I want every player to come back...it inevitably will never be. Let me tell you about my very first Valentine's Day with a boyfriend. I am 25 years old...Steve and I are dating. I had never had a boyfriend before Steve...and I was never "dating" anyone around Valentine's Day. So I was SO EXCITED! Finally it is a day of LOVE! Not that I wore black on the day...I always went out with friends to celebrate what great people I had in my life. Anyways...Steve had made reservations at this fancy restaurant Saffire that I had never been to. I was excited to dress up and go on a special date. This particular year...Valentine's Day was on a Saturday. So I went over to his house early in the day and we just hung out and enjoyed each other's company. THEN IT HAPPENED!!! Alex Rodriguez was traded to the dreaded New York Yankees. We were not happy. Especially because just a week earlier...the Red Sox were THIS CLOSE to signing him. But no...he goes to the EVIL EMPIRE instead. Oh well...such is life...time to move on. Baseball season is still 6 weeks away. But no...next thing I know Steve is in his bedroom...lying on his bed...face down...completely motionless. I give him his space. Well an hour later he is in the same position...SULKING like I have never seen anyone sulk before. Our dinner reservations are a couple of hours away...surely he will perk up and we will have a great evening...right?!? RIGHT?!?!?! Boy was I wrong. He was in complete despair. I decided to cancel the reservations. There's no sense in spending a lot of money and getting all dressed up to have a dreadful evening. The TV was on all evening...all ESPN/ESPN2/ESPN News was talking about was the A-Rod trade. I somehow managed to convince Steve to go to the local Pizza joint to eat. And it was GOOD PIZZA! And it was fine. Obviously I will never forget my first Valentine's Day. The day isn't tainted...but whenever talked about...the A-Rod thing is ever present. Little did Steve know at the time that the next year the Red Sox would make the GREATEST comeback in all of sports history against the EVIL Yankees...and go on to win the World Series...WITHOUT A-ROD!

So this brings us to present day...well a couple of days ago...on Halloween. Steve and I decided to go on a date instead of go home to candy and trick or treaters. (We could not buy candy...because we would eat it...and that would go against our healthy lifestyle that we are trying to establish.) I get off at 6pm...and Steve was going to pick me up. Oh around 4:45pm the Red Sox General Manager Theo Epstein decided not to come back. You wouldn't think this would be a big deal...but in my world...I knew what was going to happen. DOOM!!!! I was never a big fan of Epstein...but Steve thought he HUNG THE MOON. Sure he was the GM when the Red Sox won their first world series in 86 years...but I happen to believe it was the team...not Theo. Steve disagrees. Moments later, sure enough...Steve got to my work...with his head hung low. He was even wearing his Red Sox Jersey for Halloween. He said things like...

"I guess we will NEVER win the World Series again in my lifetime"

"Maybe I should just not be a Red Sox fan anymore"

Right...like he's going to give up his team that he has followed since he was just a little guy...over Theo?!?!?! I knew this was bad. I just said I was sorry. He immediately wanted Chocolate. (I love that I have a husband that wants chocolate when he is depressed!) We ended up going to Las Palmas for dinner...and Steve did his best to mask his pain. But I could see through it. We would be sitting in silence and he would just blurt out "This is REALLY REALLY BAD" or stuff like that. We were in the restaurant for maybe 35 minutes and were home by 7pm. So much for our fun date night! Now...I have bad Red Sox memories on Valentine's Day & Halloween.

If you have seen the movie "Fever Pitch" my husband is one notch short of Jimmy Fallon's character. He doesn't sleep with a Red Sox pillow...and doesn't have season tickets...but takes it just as personally as his character.

So Please John Henry (Red Sox Owner) and Larry Lucchino (Red Sox President)...when making big decisions about the future of the team...please PLEASE don't do them on a holiday. I swear that if Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's & Easter get ruined (all holidays between the end of the season and the beginning of the next)...you both will hear from me PERSONALLY!!!!

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter