The Inevitable Quest...

A place for me to be me...while searching for who I want to be

Monday, May 02, 2005

He Gave Me The Ocean...

A couple of months ago Steve asked me to take my birthday off from work. I didn’t refuse…I’ll take a good excuse for a 3-day weekend. So this past Thursday, the day before my birthday, Steve gave me a card before he left for work. His instructions were not to open the card until he told me to. He is a thoughtful guy, so I was very excited. I knew he had a surprise in store for my birthday, so I assumed this was just to get me excited for whatever he had in store. At work, Troy (my boss) said we would take the afternoon off if I got my work done to go to the movies to celebrate my birthday since I would be gone on my actual birthday. I was excited about all the fun! So I had a meeting at 2pm, and as soon as it was over we would go to the movies. My meeting was here…and my phone rang. It was Steve…I couldn’t get it. About a half an hour later Troy called me into his office, so that I could get out of my meeting and we could be off to our “meeting”…the movies! So I walked to Troy’s office…still haven’t called Steve back…and he was in Troy’s office. Troy said…we weren’t going to the movies. Steve said…”let’s go home to pack a bag, we’re off to Destin!” I had NO CLUE. I was SO EXCITED…and in shock. Inside the card that I didn't get to open before he told me was a brochure for the resort we would be staying at. I get to go to the beach for my birthday! I love the ocean! Being a California-native stuck in Tennessee, any chance to get to the ocean is treasured…and I’m sure my husband hears this WAY…TOO…OFTEN. When I was younger…I sought peace and rejuvenation in the ocean. I never thought I would find true love. I never thought someone would love me so unconditionally I could feel it in every membrane of my body. As we are driving, I am thanking him profusely for a WONDERFUL surprise. He replies with “I wanted to give you the ocean for your birthday…you deserve more…this is the least I could do”. I always thought the ocean was a gift…I had just never had anyone give it to me. Needless to say, it was an amazing weekend! At one point on my birthday, I was laying on the beach, hearing the crash of the waves, watching the endless horizon, smelling wonderful food from the restaurant next door, feeling the wind through my hair, lying next to the man I love. Ahhhh…BLISS! I can’t explain in words how much I love my husband. But what blows my mind even more is knowing how much he loves me. He loves me so much, he gave me the ocean. He may have given me the ocean…but really he gave me a dream I never thought would come true.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter