The Inevitable Quest...

A place for me to be me...while searching for who I want to be

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Issues with Fairness

My whole life I have had issues with fairness. Of course it started with what I thought was sibling preferential treatment. Granted...sometimes this worked to my advantage. But that's another story of pure rage I used to feel towards my brother. I love him more than anything now, that's why I can say that. But before 8th grade...we HATED each other. Anyways...back to fairness. When I was 14 or 15, I used to go out with my brother Henry who is 2 years older than me. So when he was 16 and could drive, we would go over to friends houses to hang out. We stayed out until wee hours of the morning. It was SO MUCH FUN! Bon fires in the summertime with great company and just looking up at the stars until 3am...ahh those were the days! Then I turned 16...and my parents dropped a 10pm curfew on me. Yet...my brother continued to have none. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT! Even if I wanted to ride with my brother and I wasn't driving like before I turned 16...they still wanted me home at 10pm. So I would have to drive seperate because my brother WAS NOT coming home at 10pm. The excuse..."You're a girl". Yeah...and who has taken self-defense? ME...not my brother. And it's our friends house that we always go to...it's not like we are going to raging parties. It all began. For a while my motto was..."Life's not fair". I went on a quest to make life fair. Boy did that FAIL MISERABLY! I guess I have finally come to grips that no matter what I do, life will NEVER be fair. Whether it's questioning why my dad has cancer, why one kid gets grounded for 2 weeks if they get a B on their report card while another kid gets $20 for the same B, or why the person in front of me at the ice cream shop ordered the same thing I did but theirs was twice as big. It enrages me! And I'm sure God has a bigger plan that I don't understand. But why do I dwell on these things FOREVER!?? Why are some people okay with the fact that life isn't fair?? Why do I let it overtake me? If I put in extra time one day at work, I feel like I should go in late the next day. But it doesn't work that way. And I FREAK OUT on the inside. I don't know why I feel so led to be so passionate about life being fair. I wish I wasn't!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter