The Inevitable Quest...

A place for me to be me...while searching for who I want to be

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Bliss like a girl on Prom Day!

Last night I couldn’t fall asleep. Normally (being the grandma that I am) we are in bed around 10:30. Last night we watched a basketball game so we didn’t get into bed until 11:45. I watched TV until midnight and decided I needed to turn the TV off even though I wasn’t yet tired. I tossed and turned…and must have finally dozed off a little after 1am. A far cry from 10:30pm when the alarm goes off at 6:15.

Today, all day I have had butterflies in my stomach. The same kind of butterflies you get on an exciting day. The day of Prom, a sorority formal, a big date, your wedding day, etc. I’m having a hard time concentrating…I am generally just excited. It’s gorgeous outside…sunny…beautiful…the perfect day. (Well perfect day when it’s 66 degrees in January when you know it should only be 39 degrees.) All my excitement leads to tonight.

Who knew that I wouldn’t be able to fall asleep last night…or that I would be anxious all day long…when my best friend is coming into town!!!! No it isn’t the prom…but it might as well be in my book! Mary(Big B)Beth…or My Sweet B as I call her is coming to visit! That’s MaryBeth…1 word…no space…uppercase B!

Anyone who meets or knows MaryBeth will never forget her. She has such a sweet spirit that just brings everyone joy. She is funny and has a laugh you could only wish was your own. It is contagious…and cute…and everyone takes notice when she laughs. I’m sure strangers look at her when they hear her laugh…and wish they could know her. They wish they could be sitting next to her…tossing their heads back in laughter. She has the kindest soul, and makes you feel so welcome. She’s the type of person that makes you feel like you’re the only person in the world. She is everything that is good and wonderful in this world. And I will see her in less than 3 hours….OH BLISS!!!

I met MaryBeth at a sorority party the first week of school my sophomore year of college. We both pledged Tri Delta. While we were pledging it seemed like everyone else knew someone in the pledge class. But I didn’t…and MaryBeth didn’t. So we gravitated toward each other. And I now realize I am the luckiest girl in the world to have bonded with her during that time. Little did I know that she would come to mean so much to me. She was so ENCHANTING…and I wanted to spend every minute with her. And we practically did. We have wonderful memories from the sorority and outside the sorority. We had a great group of friends…but no one else was like my B. We lived together our senior year of college. It was the best year of my life! We had dance parties…many adventures (who knew an adventure was to be had at the convenient store on the corner)…some days we would even run away together. I miss running away with her. Sometimes we would literally go out the front door and just run. (Side note: don’t try to run away when you are both wearing flip flops…ouch!) We had no clue where we were going…or how far we would go…we would just RUN AWAY. Sometimes we would run away in her Grey truck Lou. Good ol’ Lou! Again…we had no clue where Lou was going to take us. We would just need to get away! Some probably think this is very silly…but we loved it!

MaryBeth is one person that just puts a smile on my face thinking about her. I feel like a part of my heart is dormant because I don’t have her in my every day life. What I wouldn’t give to have her around every day! But I am not complaining…I am just truly blessed to know her. It has been more than a year (UNACCEPTABLE) since I have seen her. That will never happen again. I have been in dire need of a MaryBeth fill for a long time. She will be here until Tuesday (unless I can talk her into staying longer), and I can’t help but feel like a kid on Christmas morning! So here’s to a bright spot in my life…MaryBeth…and to a weekend of finding adventures, reminiscing, and who knows…maybe even running away! I LOVE YOU B!!

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter