The Inevitable Quest...

A place for me to be me...while searching for who I want to be

Friday, November 18, 2005

Randumb Ramblings 11.18.05

*Until this week…I have never spent time in a closet because of a Tornado. It was pretty scary…especially since I was home alone. As soon as I got home I turned on the TV (upstairs of course…because it would be too convenient to have one downstairs where you are supposed to take shelter!) and the weathergirl immediately said…rotation spotted in Thompsons Station…if you are in Thompsons Station…TAKE COVER! How about that! I did what any NORMAL person would do…I turned off the TV…grabbed a pillow…ran downstairs…grabbed my wedding photo album…lit some candles…kept the lighter in hand and sat at the bottom of the coat closet…under the coats. I am SO SO SO grateful for the Glamorous Jo…who called me and stayed on the phone with me during this ordeal. She is a LIFE SAVER!!! I might still be sitting in the closet if it weren’t for her!

*Snack of the week – Gen Soy Soy Crisps in the Deep Sea Salted Flavor. They are kind of like mini-rice cakes and you can eat 17 crisps for less than 2 points. Or probably around 20 for 2 points.

*I have this weird addiction (I guess that's what you could call it). I have to use Sharpie Ultra Fine Point pens in Rainbow colors. Whether it’s at work (especially at work), home or in my purse…that is my pen of choice. Whenever I don’t use one of those pens…I ALWAYS think about how I wish I had one at that moment. The only time it is okay to not use one is when I am writing checks because it won’t go thru to the duplicate copy.

*Steve and I have always talked about going to New York City between Thanksgiving and Christmas. That way we could see Rockafeller Center and do some Christmas shopping in the city when it's winter. Steve has to go to New York for work in a couple of weeks. We kind of threw around the idea of going up the weekend before and hanging out. Is it crazy that I can get a roundtrip airplane ticket for WAY less than 1 night’s hotel?!?!?!? The cheapest I found for a hotel was $391!!! And that was on hotwire where you don’t even know what hotel it is until you buy it. UNBELIEVABLE!!!! I guess we won’t be going up for the weekend this year.

*I love my black velvet purse that I got at H&M last time I was in Boston. It is big…fits lots of stuff…and is glam. The only problem is…everything gets lost in it. Especially my cell phone. The worst is when you are in a restaurant and your phone rings…and I start digging…RING…and I can’t find it…RING…I still can’t find it…RING…where the heck is it…RING…and I finally find it…just in time for EVERYONE around me to be glaring in my direction. Maybe I just need to put my phone on vibrate!!

*My parents are coming on Monday night for Thanksgiving!!! YAY!!! Not that I didn’t get excited about seeing my family at holidays…but ever since we found out that my dad has cancer…every visit with them is so PRECIOUS!!!! Hopefully my dad will still live many more years…and hopefully I will always REALLY look forward to each moment I spend with them.

*The holiday traffic is here in Cool Springs. Usually it starts the week before Thanksgiving and goes through the first week of January. It really drives me crazy…and you have to plan accordingly at lunchtime…if you don’t want to be late. Normally…it’s just a tad irritating…but today…I was mad! Not at the traffic. But thinking of holiday traffic once this big Nissan Corporation is going to move into town. It takes 20 minutes to go down about 2 miles of Mallory Lane…how much worse will that be when you throw another 2,000 – 3,000 people in the mix. Oh well…I guess I don’t have to worry about it this year.

*I get so sad when I think about the nature of our society. I like to hold the door open for people whether it’s entering or exiting the mall…a restaurant…or wherever. But it makes me really sad…when I go out of my way to open a door…and smile at whomever is walking thru…and they don’t acknowledge me or say thank you. What happened?!?!? And I live in the south! Not New York City!!! Oh well…all I can do is to continue opening that door and smiling…and maybe it will make a difference to some of the people.

*What is your favorite Thanksgiving food??? Mine is stuffing. I especially like the stuffing that is cooked inside the turkey. Now…I don’t know if I would really be able to tell the difference if you put the two stuffings (in turkey or not in turkey) in front of me…but man…stuffing sure seems to taste better on Thanksgiving when it’s cooked inside the turkey.

*Some of my radio stations have already flipped to all Christmas music. YES…the week before Thanksgiving. Don’t get me wrong…I’m ALL ABOUT the Christmas music. But isn’t before Thanksgiving a little soon?!?!? I don’t want to be tired of Christmas music…before Christmas. And I’m not really in the Christmas mood…before Thanksgiving is over. But bring it on the day after Thanksgiving!

4 Comments:

  • At Friday, November 18, 2005 3:54:00 PM, Blogger GJ said…

    1. Cool Springs holiday traffic CHAPS MY HIDE. HATE IT. I never have road rage, I'm usually pretty patient - except on Mallory Lane at Christmas. That's enough to make a preacher cuss.

    2. Stuffing, mashed potatoes, hashbrown casserole, pies, I LOVE IT ALLLLLLLLLLLLL.

    3. I went to Wal-Mart last Sunday to get some groceries and they were playing Christmas music overhead. They also had this huge display right at the door with a bog countdown for shopping days left until Christmas. It made me anxious and nervous like I was running late. EVERYONE CALM DOWN AND BACK AWAY FROM THE CHRISTMAS MANIA. Let's have some stuffing first, shall we?

     
  • At Friday, November 18, 2005 9:05:00 PM, Blogger mommy zabs said…

    - i'm glad you made it throught the tornado okay. I'm sure that was scarey esp. considering you hate storms!

    -I LOVE RAINBOW PACK OF SHARPIE ULTRA FINE POINT!

    -I have always wanted to go to NYC with jeff during that time too.... but.... there have been babies and such so it keeps not happneing. Maybe in a few years :) See you there!

    -I'm so glad your parents are coming and understand the every precious moment part. Cancer and other things like it have a way of casting that perspective. I pray and believe you will have many thanksgivings ahead with your dad... but that doesn't mean every moment shouldn't be appreciated :)

    -ew i don't miss that traffic. Cool Springs just wasn't made for it! I didn't know about Nissan, that is crazy. Wow house values will go up! That is good :)

    - man that is rude on the door thing. people are so callous!

    -MASHED POTATOS HANDS DOWN!

    - Before I got here to ohio is was so hot in FL and there were christmas decorations up around places! Now that was strange.

     
  • At Saturday, November 19, 2005 10:17:00 PM, Blogger meridith said…

    fine point sharpies in rainbow colors RULE!!!!

    i HATE cool springs

    i LOVE thanksgiving and dressing and sweet potatoes and the whole 9 yards and i agree, although i will start christmas shopping early, NO CHRISTMAS MUSIC TILL THE DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING!!!!!

     
  • At Saturday, November 19, 2005 10:32:00 PM, Blogger andrea said…

    nyc is amazing this time of year... and also jam-packed with people (hence the high prices)... for about four years in a row (and way before we had the bambinos), ward and I found ourselves in new york... such an exciting place to be this time of year! we stayed at so many places (on the floors of friends and in dive hotels)... the most memorable place by far was this seemingly 'nice' hotel we booked right off times square... we were thrilled to get it for 100 bucks a night and then we found out why. it was like a bed in a closet. you walked in and it was a bed. and a huge curtainless window. and a bare bulb light fixture. at first, I wanted to cry. but then we started to laugh and laugh... we had the BEST time there... it was weird but pretty clean and oh so memorable. my advice to you: plan to go next year, book in advance but be willing to sacrifice a little (shared bathrooms, space, etc)... you'll spend most of your time out and about in the city anyway. there's a fabulous bed and breakfast in the village that I just love that is fairly affordable... you just have to book way in advance... let me know if you want the info!

    oh, and fave thanksgiving food: mashed potatoes, baby!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter