The Inevitable Quest...

A place for me to be me...while searching for who I want to be

Thursday, June 16, 2005

PROUD WIFE!

Okay...so I am going to brag on my husband for a bit. I already know that he's a brilliant writer...and a creative genius...and practically a baseball historian (even though he would deny that)...but this story proves it! A couple of months ago Steve told me about this contest he was thinking about entering. It is a Fantasy Baseball contest put on by Yahoo. Basically...you have to write essays about certain topics in baseball, and the top 12 will be selected to play the 2nd half of the baseball season in Fantasy Baseball. The winner gets a monetary award, plus a 1 year job with the San Francisco Giants. I told him he should DEFINITELY go for it! It is a dream of his to work for a major league baseball organization. So he wrote his essays, and emailed them away. The top 25 would know by the end of April. End of April came and went and nothing. OH WELL! At least he submitted something. Fast forward to middle of May, Steve is in Dallas, I just got back from a promo tour, and there were 3 stickers on our door from Fed Ex. So I go to pick up whatever is being sent during my lunch break. I am a little disappointed when I find it is just a folder from Minnesota! I was thinking maybe we got a fun package from a family member or friend. It was addressed to Steve, so I called him in Dallas to see if he wanted me to open it since he wouldn't be home for another 2 days. It was from some marketing group. He didn't know who it was...so I just opened it. IT WAS FROM YAHOO! He had made the top 25! One problem...the deadline to return your resume was YESTERDAY! So they Fed Ex'ed it Thursday to arrive at our home on Friday and now we are at Tuesday. But it was due Monday! What kind of company gives you the weekend to do this, without notifying you over phone or email??? So I call Steve back in a panic. It was already due! Luckily there was a phone number so I gave it to Steve and he called the woman. He calls me back 5 minutes later to tell me that the committee is meeting this afternoon if we can fax a resume to them ASAP. WHAT?? I just finished my lunch break, Steve's in Dallas, and his resume is on our computer at home 20 minutes from the office!!! SHOOT! Oh well...luckily I work with cool people who let me go home to fax his resume. Hopefully it got there in time!

Fast forward to yesterday...5:51pm to be exact. My husband calls. He asks what I'm doing. I tell him just finishing the last 10 minutes of work. Then it comes..."So, I got a phone call today". Instantly I think OH GREAT...what NOW!?!? (His family has been having a rough time, so I assumed it was something with his family.) He said..."Yahoo called...I made the final 12". Just as non-chalant. I scream..."WHAT!!!!!" He said that the guy left him a message, and then he left the guy a message, so he doesn't know details. BUT MY STROUTY HAS MADE THE TOP 12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SO PROUD OF HIM!!!! Later in the evening, the guy calls Steve back. What I want to know is HOW MANY PEOPLE ENTERED. So I'm standing right next to Steve trying to hear what the guy is saying...and I keep nudging him saying..."ask him how many people". So finally Steve gets around to it. Well...OFF THE RECORD...more than 20,000 people applied. That's right...that's not a typo...20,000!!! AND HE IS IN THE FINAL 12!!!!!!!!!!! He's just excited he gets to play Fantasy Baseball. MY HUSBAND IS THE SMARTEST MAN IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! And I want to shout it from the mountaintops! I'm so excited for him...and obviously SO VERY PROUD!!!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter